Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sling alterations

Last night I tried the New Native baby sling a couple times with Asher, but it was late, he was tired, and he of course spit up on the sling and me. I wanted to wash the sling anyway, since the people who sold it to me have a dog, even though she told me she washed it already. It also came with an instructional DVD. This was pretty funny. The girl in the video was really weird, Brent and I kept making fun of her. The babies were cute though.

This morning (or was it early afternoon? who knows anymore!), I schlepped Asher to and fro, in and out of the sling to test it out. I decided it was, in fact, too big for me. I probably needed the size S. But the website gives instructions on shortening the length to make is smaller! Not that I couldn't have figured out how to do this on my own, but it's good to know that this is an approved method for using their product. So I pinned the sling at the shoulder and it fit so much better! For the hip carry, Asher was actually on my hip like when I hold him in my arms. I'm still working on the other positions, as I don't quite have the hang of it yet.

Last summer I bought a Singer sewing machine. I took a beginning sewing class at Spark Craft Studio, where I was supposed to make a tote bag... but I was having problems with the bobbin thread getting all crazy, so by the time I resolved this issue, I didn't have enough time to finish my bag, so I took everything home with me and then never finished the project because I really didn't like the fabric I picked out at the class anyway...

I busted out the sewing machine, practiced some on a scrap cloth to see if I could sew in a straight line, haha. Then I sewed the sling. I measured 2" from the shoulder fold, so that means it was taken up a total of 4". I drew a line, but I don't know that my stitching was exactly straight the whole time. But really, it doesn't matter. I tested it out after doing the one seam and decided it was OK where it was. I then went over the seam again to reinforce it (and they tell you to do that in the alteration instructions). I was debating on whether to then stitch down the flap that was created, because that seam would show on the outside of the carrier. I tested it out some more, and decided it would be best to have that flap stitched down. That seam really is not straight! But again, it doesn't really matter. The sling is now functional! Asher looks so cute sitting in it. I will get Brent to take a picture of us wearing it later :)

1 comment:

Susan said...

pictures...more pictures please!!!!