Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Baby Sling

I got a baby sling yesterday, used from craigslist for less than half the retail price. It's the New Native organic cotton sling in khaki. It's kind of like a pouch for the baby, it's all one piece of cotton fabric, no buckles or ties. It's a size M, which may be a little big on me (it is sized since it doesn't adjust), but I need to practice more with Asher in it to see if I might need to sew a new seam at the shoulder to make it shorter for me.

Brent likes the Bjorn carrier, but when I tried it on yesterday with Asher facing out, it didn't feel comfortable on me. I don't know if I just couldn't get it adjusted properly because it had been set for Brent or what. So then I used the Moby wrap, also facing Asher out, and we took a walk like that. He seemed to like it, and the Moby can cover his legs and I can tuck his arms in so he stays warm and cozy. The Moby is very comfortable, but it's a whole production to put it on (and take it off) because it's a wrap of one huge long piece of fabric. I think I will let the Bjorn be for Brent, and I will stick with the Moby and the New Native.

One of the main reasons I wanted the sling carrier is because I wanted something simple that I could throw on when taking Asher downstairs before getting him in the stroller. Now that I'm not always using the car seat in the stroller system, it's very cumbersome and awkward to hold Asher (and his blankets) in one arm and have to lug the stroller down the front porch steps with the other hand. I am hoping that this sling will provide good hands-free support for this purpose, and the other great part is that it is small enough to just fold up flat into the diaper bag!

No comments: