Saturday, March 15, 2008

Babies R Us is evil

Yes, I already knew this, but I get reminded when I go there to spend $12.99 and end up spending $50.

When I was pregnant, I wasn't going to register at BRU because they are like "The Man" in new-parents-land. But alas, they were the only store to carry the stroller travel system we wanted. Thus began the registry there... which of course snowballed when I got their catalog with the thousand-and-one things you "need" for a new baby. So I went online and got registry happy. Look, it's a national chain, so anyone can order from them, they do have everything you need, and it just became convenient. Coupons and sales help too.

Last weekend, we were out and about in the rain (without the car), so I had to rig a receiving blanket over the canopy of the stroller so Asher didn't get wet. It worked OK (if you call a soaking wet receiving blanket OK), but I decided I definitely need a stroller rain cover. Notice how that link is for the "deluxe" version and costs $12.99. You might think they have the same stuff in the store. Well, not always. They had different brands, so the "deluxe" model I wanted was $17.99 (Graco brand). They had one for $12.99, but I decided to spend the extra $5 because it looked like the cheaper one had snaps instead of a zipper and this one has reflective binding (!) that I decided would be good to have in the traffic-laden city.

Then, what do they have right next to the rain covers? They have the Evenflo Switch-a-Roos! So we just had to get little Asher-boo some new toys for his exersaucer! We got crinkle bee and chewy fish. Brent wanted to get more, but I said Whoa now! We can always get more next month!

Then we are cruising around, let's take a peek at the clothes on clearance. Brent likes the super-preppy stuff. Like an argyle pattern sweater-vest. [insert putrid face here.] I maintain my stand that little girl clothes are cuter than little boy clothes. Maybe that's just me. Anyway, Brent then discovered baby poloshirt style onesies, striped just like the kind Daddy wears! So, had to get one. Also got one that was just a shirt (not onesie), and of course had to get the matching carpenter khaki pants! Stay tuned for Mini-Brent! I will have to knit a miniature cell phone to go in the side pocket, hahaha.

But yeah, all that little stuff adds up. BRU-is-eeeevil!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I ALWAYS talk about how baby boys need sweater vests! Every time I see a little boy in a sweater vest, I want a baby (just to dress, though). I whole-heartedly support that idea :)