Saturday, January 26, 2008

Yoga Baby

I went back to yoga today for the first time since Asher was born. I went to prenatal yoga at Savin Hill Yoga studio every Saturday from the time I was about 7 weeks pregnant to the day I went into labor, and only skipped maybe 5 classes tops. I felt really good about doing yoga while I was pregnant, since I am not big on exercise otherwise. Even on mornings when I didn't feel like going, I would always feel better and be glad I went. The poses were supposed to help with birth, but that didn't end up making much difference since I had a c-section (unplanned), but the very best thing was the breathing techniques. I don't think I could have survived my THREE DAYS of labor without it!

I went to a regular yoga class this morning, and it definitely felt more rigorous than the gentle yoga I'd been doing for 9 months. But it was good, and I am excited to get back into practice. I always want to try to do more at home, but I am just bad at keeping a schedule. Going to class definitely keeps me with it, so I want to go at least once a week. If I start going twice a week, maybe I'll purchase the monthly membership, depending on what is the best deal.

The owner of the studio has Asher's picture up on the wall! I knew he had told me that in an email, because I sent some newborn pictures to him and my prenatal teachers after Asher was born. But it was about 15 minutes into class this morning when I realized I was looking at a print-out of a hospital photo of Asher, and handwritten on the paper it said his name, birthdate, weight, and "Another SAVIN HILL YOGA BABY." I smiled to myself and thought about how the other people in the class didn't even know that was a picture of my son.

1 comment:

Mariss said...

That's pretty sweet about the picture :) I'm glad you're carving out time to take care of yourself too, and enjoying yoga.

Thanks for inspiring me to go to the gym tomorrow ;)