Sunday, January 27, 2008

Vaccines

Just to exemplify how awesome Asher actually is, he did not cry or even kvetch one bit when he got 2 shots last week. The nurse, Dad and I were all shocked! Maybe it was because he was still sleepy from the nap he was taking in the waiting room, but I think it's because he's the best kid.

I think the AAP is crazy with the recommended vaccine schedule. They want you to give a 2 month old 5 shots at once! I knew I wanted to research this before Asher was born, but didn't get to it until he was about a month old. I wanted to talk to the pediatrician about it, and luckily we have a very cool doctor who doesn't mind doing an alternate vaccine schedule. I started my research online, and decided to buy The Vaccine Book, by Dr. Bob Sears. I know he's just one pediatrician who wrote a book, but I think a lot of what he says makes sense and he has references to the research in his book. I'm not following his schedule to the T either, but using his info as a guide and considering my pedi's opinions, I came up with something I am comfortable with, at least for his infant shots.

At 2, 4, and 6 months, we are doing the HIB and PC vaccines, and at 3, 5, and 7 months, we are doing the DTaP and Polio. I know polio isn't urgent because no one has it anymore, and Dr. Sears delays it, but it doesn't have any aluminum content, so I figured we would get it over with, and it doesn't usually have side effects. We aren't doing the rotavirus at all, because it is a live virus vaccine and my pedi doesn't even think it's worthwhile. I asked for a specific brand of the DTaP and I know it required some legwork from the doctor's office, but I was glad they accommodated my request. We are also delaying Hep B, since that is an STD and it's crazy that they recommend it for babies if the mom is known to be negative!

I think 2 shots at a time is plenty for such a tiny baby, and I can't imagine Asher's reaction if it had been 5 (plus the oral rotavirus, if we'd given that too). Aside from the pain of the shots, I just think such a young body is not equipped to handle that much. I know there are plenty of babies that get all the vaccines are are just fine, but there is always the chance of reaction. Asher had a low grade fever for about a day after his first shots at 2 months. Nothing at the 3-month series. But I feel good about my decision to spread them out, because I think even that month makes a difference in the maturity of his system and its ability to handle the injections. We'll still need to figure out some of the other stuff, like the MMR, later on. For now, I hope Asher continues to have no reactions from the 4 infant vaccines.

2 comments:

Mariss said...

Awww. Poor little Asher getting shots :) Glad to hear that you have the best baby ever!!! What a tough guy, he didn't even cry ;)

Elita said...

I love the Sears'! Are you practicing attachment parenting? I think I consult Dr. William Sears' baby book every other day!